John David Phillips
John David Phillips was born in Roswell, New Mexico in 1955. His first memories are of the open vistas and changing skies of the American Southwest. His family moved every few years; Louisiana, California, Australia, Texas, Colorado, Indonesia, and Singapore. John began painting at the age of eight in an effort to capture these diverse visual stimuli. He earned Bachelors and Masters degrees (business and economics) while continuing to self-educate in the arts and painting and settled in the Colorado foothills west of Denver. He paints both in his studio and outdoors on location en plein air. His goal as an artist is share the many moods inspired by nature.
- Phillips' article "Chamisa in Taos" was featured in the July 2007 issue of American Art Collector Magazine.
- Work featured in the July 2007 issue of American Art Collector Magazine
- Spring 2007 issue of American Artist’s Workshop Magazine.
- Feature article on Phillips’ Colorado painting workshop “The paintings of Colorado artist John David Phillips show an overriding concern for conveying the mood of a scene. He has a unique approach to lighting, composition and perspective.” Southwest Art Magazine
- “Eight Young Artists Worth Knowing in the New Millenium”… John David Phillips’ landscape subjects span a much wider range than can be seen in any one image. They literally go from the darkest of dark scenes, full of mood, to light snow scenes. Drama is evident in his work. Phillips is drawn to unusually lit subjects, and patches of wildly vivid color infuse sometimes otherwise neutral scenes. In short, his work is distinctive.” Art Talk Newspaper
- Phillips’ article “Chamisa in Taos” in the July 2007 issue of American Art Collector Magazine
- Feature article on Phillips’ Colorado Painting Workshop in Spring 2007 issue of American Artist’s Workshop Magazine
- Phillips’ painting “Golden Evening” 36” X 48” is on display in lobby of U.S. Congressional offices, Washington D.C.
- Best of show 2005 Plein Air New Mexico Invitational Exhibit, Ventana Fine Art Gallery, Santa Fe
- Several of Phillips’ landscapes are on display in the Governor’s Office of the Colorado State Capitol Building
- Phillips’ painting “From the Top” was purchased by the Denver Art Museum in 2004
- Phillips’ work was featured in Southwest Art Magazine’s October 2002 Collector Issue, “Landscape Collections Across the West”
- Phillips teaches in-depth painting workshops for Art in the Aspens Workshops, Pueblo
Other Major Exhibitions include:
- 2005 through 2010 Sangre de Cristo Arts’ “Representing the West”
- invitational Exhibit, Pueblo, Colorado
- 2009 Oil Painters of America Western Exhibition, Seattle
- 2005 Oil Painters of America National Exhibition, Chicago
- 2004 Oil Painters of America National Exhibition Award of Excellence, Chicago
- 2002 Oil Painters of America National Exhibition, Chicago
- 2000 OPA Exhibition in Carmel
- 1997 OPA Exhibition in Taos
- 1997 OPA Award of Excellence, Mountain Regional Exhibit, Park City, Utah
Work featured in Art Talk’s December 1999 issue “Eight Young Artists
Worth Knowing in the New Millenium”
Featured in Southwest Art Magazine’s December 1999 article
“New Directions in Realism”
Paintings featured in 5280 Denver’s Mile High Magazine
"Golden Evening", 36"X48" on display in U.S. Congressional Office, Washingtion D.C.
Best of Show 2005 Plein Air New Mexico Invitational Exhibit, Ventana Fine Art, Santa Fe
"From the Top", 18"X24" was purchased by the Denver Art Museum in 2004
Work featured in Southwest Art's October 2002 Collector Issue
2005-2013 Sangre de Cristo Art's "Representing the West" Invitational Exhibit, Pueblo, CO
2009 OPA Western Exhibit, Seattle
1997, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2005, OPA National Exhibitions
Featured in Southwest Art's 1999 issue, "New Directions in Realism"